OUR THEME, our BIG ROCK, our FOCUS this year is captured in one word: CONNECT. To CONNECT means to bring together or into contact so that a real link is established. The essential function of religion is to radically connect us with that which we long for the most—God and others. "Re-ligio", from which we get the word religion, means re-ligament or to reconnect. COVID-19 has revealed a deep human need—the need for connection. We miss our friends. We miss our routines. We long to be connected again with our friends and family. Here is the truth: God created us for community and for connection. We are called to be in connection with God, through Jesus Christ, and with one another. Jesus summarized the greatest commandment as loving God and loving others.
That is why we have chosen the verses of II Corinthians 5:17-20 to support our theme. “Now we look inside, and what we see is that anyone united with the Messiah gets a fresh start, is created new. The old life is gone; a new life emerges! Look at it! All this comes from the God who settled the relationship between us and him, and then called us to settle our relationships with each other. God put the world square with himself through the Messiah, giving the world a fresh start by offering forgiveness of sins. God has given us the task of telling everyone what he is doing. We are Christ’s representatives. God uses us to persuade men and women to drop their differences and enter God’s work of making things right between them”. (II Corinthians 5:17-20 The Message)
Our 2021 theme, CONNECT, will focus on 4 distinct areas:
- Divine/Human connection
- Local connection
- Regional connection
- Global connection
Welcome to 2021, our year to CONNECT.
SPRING CALL TO ACTION
We have many resources available to help you connect more fully in 2021. We hope that you will take advantage of these resources to engage in connecting this year.
Adult Reading List
Bright Evening Star: Mystery of the Incarnation by Madeleine L’Engle
Between Noon and Three: Romance, Law, and the Outrage of Grace by Robert Capon
Children's Reading List
Picturing God by Ruth Goring
When God Was A Little Girl by David R. Weiss
Check out our monthly CONNECT GROUPS:
- Health & Nutrition: Join our Health and Nutrition Connect Group and hang out with people who are interested in health, fitness, and wholeness. Learn basic strategies to stay active and healthy during these difficult times. This group will meet via ZOOM once a month. By connecting and building relationships, you will have a community of people who love and support you during these difficult times.
- Animal Lovers: Join our Animal Lovers Connect Group and hang out with people who love their pets. Our pets share our happiest moments and comfort us during difficult times. Having pets have been therapeutic for many people especially during this season of COVID. Our pets bring us comfort, laughter, and joy. Get to know other pet lovers. Share stories about your pets and support one. This group will meet once a month via ZOOM, but may also meet in a park. Come join us!
- Revenge of the Nerds: Are you a "nerd" and looking to connect with other nerds? Consider joining our Connect Group for Nerds and outside the box thinkers. Come share your stories of the adventures of your life and how you are making a difference in a world that sometimes feels like a misfit. By the way, one must be a little nerdy to change the world. This group will meet once a month via ZOOM.
- Sports Enthusiasts: Got to admit, it has been a rough year for Houston professional sports teams. Our Texans, Astros, Rockets and Dynamos have not fared too well. But we are a hopeful sports city. Remember in 2017 when we brought home the World Series? Remember our back-to-back NBA championship in 1994 & 1995? Come hang out with other sports enthusiasts, share stories, and support one another. This group will meet via ZOOM once a month.
- Theology on Tap: Martin Luther was famous for his “tavern theology”. In fact, Katharina von Bora Luther (Martin Luther’s wife) managed a brewery at home. Theology on Tap is a theological gathering where participants bring their favorite beverage. This is a powerful way of connecting theologically while building great relationship. Join our Theology on Tap Connect Group to grow in your faith while drinking your favorite beverage. This group will meet once a month via ZOOM.
- Women in the Bible: Join our Women in the Bible Connect Group to hear the amazing stories of how women shaped the biblical narrative. Too often we focus on the role of men in the Bible. But some of most amazing biblical narratives are focused on women. Get to know these faith giants and be inspired by the witness of their lives. This group will meet once a month via ZOOM.
- Synodical / Global Relations: There are 3 expressions of the church: local, synodical, and global. The local expression of the church for this community is Living Word. The synodical expression of the church is the Texas Louisiana Gulf Coast Synod-a network of 108 Lutheran congregations, missions, and ministries working together to plant churches, support churches around the world, prepare pastors, help congregations find pastors, support congregations in crisis, encourage evangelism, generosity, and ministry among people of all ages. The global expression of our church is seen through our churchwide body that connects Lutheran congregations around the world to be God’s hands and feet. Join our Synodical/Global Connect Group and learn more about how God is at work in the Lutheran church locally, synodically and globally. This group will meet once a month via ZOOM.
- Food Warriors: Are you passionate about food justice? Does it bother you that more than 40 million people are considered food insecure in our country? Do you want to learn how to make a difference? Jesus said in Matthew 25 that when we feed the hungry and serve the least of these, we do it for the Lord. Join our Food Warriors Connect Group to learn more about how you can make a difference by building relationships and sharing stories of food justice. This group will meet once a month via ZOOM.
- Prayer & Contemplation: Most of us struggle with prayer because we believe prayer is for the select few. Some of us believe that to pray we need to have a special vocabulary and be very holy. So, we outsourced the work of prayer and contemplation. But prayer and contemplation are for all of us. Join our Prayer & Contemplation Connect Group and begin the journey to becoming confident in your prayer life and listening to God. Connect with others who are on the same journey with you. Come, learn, and grow together. This group will meet once a month via ZOOM.
- Faith & Parenting: The Bible says, “Train children in the right way, and when old, they will not stray.” Training takes repetition. Repetitive behaviors become habits. Habits become lifestyles. One of the questions we often hear from young parents is how to parent using faith and scripture as guide. There are lots of great resources out there. Join our Faith & Parenting Connect Group to share resources and hear faith-stories about parenting. You are not alone in this journey. This group will meet once a month via ZOOM.
- Singles Group: Are you single and looking to connect with a community of other singles? Consider join our Singles Connect Group. CONNECT with each other, GROW in your faith, SERVE others in love, and build Christ-centered relationships.
Select a group to join by clicking the link below: